If you’d like some help ensuring your little ones develop excellent oral hygiene habits, contact Tocci Dental Associates today! Dr. Jeffrey Tocci and our professional team treat patients of all ages to quality, compassionate family dentistry, general dentistry, and a variety of other services at our Wellesley, MA dentist office!
With our help, you and your loved ones will:
- Keep your smiles healthy and beautiful
- Prevent dental issues from occurring in the first place
- Save time and money in the long run
Make Oral Hygiene Fun
If you’re a parent or guardian, you undoubtedly want the best for your kiddo when it comes to their oral health, overall health, and beyond. You also probably know how frustrating it can sometimes be to help your child make positive, healthy behaviors a habit.
For example, have you ever felt like you’re in a loop of deja vu when you’re trying to get your kids to brush and floss their teeth, asking some variation of the following questions:
- Did you brush your teeth?
- Will you floss your teeth if I read you a story?
- If I brush my teeth, will you with me?
- You know I can tell if you’ve brushed. Is your toothbrush wet?
- Did you really floss your teeth?
Every parent or guardian has dealt with this struggle. Because every kid is different, you’ve probably had to come up with some pretty creative incentives and methods of “tricking” your children into the healthy habits they need to establish.
The good news is, there are a lot of resources out there to help your kids develop and maintain routines to keep their chompers healthy. While we may not be experts on getting your little ones to clean up their rooms or share their toys, we can offer professional advice to help your children take care of their smiles!
You may be thinking, “Well, that’s great. But what about when it comes to actually getting my kid to brush and floss when we’re at home and you’re not there to encourage them?” Well, believe it or not, there’s an app for that! Actually, there are several apps to help your kiddo actually want to brush their teeth, including:
- Brush DJ – This app allows you to pick your favorite songs from your music library and plays two minutes worth of tunes to ensure your kids brush their teeth for the recommended amount of time. You can also set daily reminders to get your children to brush twice a day and for regular dental check-ups at Tocci Dental Associates. There are also videos to show proper oral hygiene techniques!
- Chomper Chums — With this app, your kid picks one of three characters and earns points for brushing and flossing to give treats to their character. Your child is guided through brushing, flossing, and rinsing their mouth and can even watch tutorials on proper technique.
- Disney Magic Timer — If your kid loves Disney, this app may be perfect for them because it uses beloved Disney characters to make oral hygiene fun for your child. After scanning select Oral-B and Crest products, two minutes of entertaining content will play while your kid brushes their teeth.
- Aquafresh Brush Time — Similar to Chomper Chums, this app allows your children to earn points that they can redeem for a custom “Nurdle” character they create. Each time your kid brushes their teeth, a song plays for two minutes to make the process more fun.
All of these apps are completely free and available in both the Apple App Store and in Google Play. There are dozens of other ones out there, including options for adults as well!
We’ll Help You And Your Kids Brush And Floss Properly
As mentioned above, you and your children should brush twice a day for at least two minutes each time. There are a lot of tips we can share to ensure you brush your teeth thoroughly. For example, a lot of our patients find it helpful to divide your mouth into quarters, brushing each section for thirty seconds a piece.
Don’t forget to brush your gums and tongue as well to keep your whole mouth healthy and fight bad breath-causing bacteria!
Along with brushing, you should also floss once a day. Our skilled team can demonstrate proper technique and recommend tutorial videos online as well.
If you’d like to book a dental cleaning and exam for you or your kids at Tocci Dental Associates, call 781-304-8172 or use our online form to schedule. We’ll help you keep your and your loved ones’ smiles healthy!