If you’d like to learn about some of the best foods for your gum health, read on below and also call Tocci Dental Associates at 781-304-8172 to book a visit. We can also help you if you are showing signs of periodontal disease by providing a gum disease treatment right here at our Wellesley, MA dentist office.
We want to be your one-stop shop for general dentistry and so much more. Don’t waste time driving between multiple specialists to get you and your loved ones the quality care you deserve – we treat patients of all ages!
As we’ve mentioned in the past (and will continue to do so in the future), you should visit a professional if you fear that you are experiencing gum disease. Here are some of the things you should look out for concerning the health of your smile foundation:
- Gums that bleed easily, especially from brushing and/or flossing
- Sensitivity, tenderness, and/or swelling of the gums
- Gumline recession which leaves tooth roots exposed
- Persistent and chronic bad breath that won’t go away
- Pain or sensitivity in some teeth when consuming hot or cold foods or drinks
Our dentist, Dr. Jeffrey Tocci, has over thirty years of experience in providing quality dental care for patients. Don’t settle for anything less than proven experience when it comes to your oral health!
To make paying for your necessary dental procedures a little more flexible, we accept a variety of payment options, including third-party financing from CareCredit.
We also open early and stay late on certain days of the week so scheduling can be less trouble for you. So you don’t have to screw up your work day, you can book visits with us:
- As early as 7:00 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays
- Until 7:00 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays
Learn How Your Diet Can Help Keep Your Gums Healthy
If you’re not already, you should maintain regular dental cleanings and exams at your dentist office every six months. Not only will we thoroughly examine your gums and the rest of your mouth to check for signs of potential issues, we’ll also clean your mouth more thoroughly than you ever could on your own. You should also:
- Brush your teeth, gums, tongue, and the rest of your mouth using a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste for two minutes at a time twice a day
- Floss between all of your teeth at least once daily
- Use a mouthwash or rinse that is approved by the American Dental Association if desired or recommended
Even if you don’t regularly keep up all the oral hygiene habits listed above, there’s a good chance that you are at least aware that you should. But what you may not know is that your diet can also have a significant impact on your oral health.
While it may seem like the opposite would be true, onions are actually great for your gums because they can help neutralize oral bacteria, including some of the types most commonly associated with gum disease.
Leafy green vegetables, like kale and spinach, are also a good call for your periodontal health because they pack a mighty punch of vitamins and minerals. They also:
- Boost red blood cell production and reduce inflammation thanks to the vitamin C they hold
- Are very high in fiber, which requires more chewing and creates more saliva, which helps flush away particles that could otherwise hurt gums
Crunchy fruits and vegetables, like celery, carrots, and apples, are also great for gums, partially because they can help scrape away food particles on your teeth. They are also high in fiber and share the same perks that high fiber leafy greens have.
Dairy products, like milk and cheese, are also great for gums because they contain a protein called casein, which helps to neutralize the negative effects of certain acids produced by bacteria in your mouth.
Let us make sure your smile foundation is in great shape and provide a gum disease treatment if necessary at Tocci Dental Associates. To book an evaluation and/or ask us any questions you have, call 781-304-8172, visit our Wellesley, MA dentist office during our normal business hours, or take a moment to fill out our easy-to-use online form.