It’s important to have the right dental care for your children as they get older. You have to worry about preventive dentistry, orthodontics, and even any possible dental emergencies. At Tocci Dental Associates in Wellesley MA, we’re using state-of-the-art dentistry to give you and your family the perfect smile.
Our staff is focusing on preventive care to make sure that your children’s smile is looking great. Today we want to share some dental facts that you need to know about your children’s health and teeth. You can give us a call today at 781-304-8172 to schedule your first visit.
Here are some facts about children’s tooth decay:
- Tooth decay is the leading chronic disease in children.
- Nearly one-quarter of children in American will have tooth decay by the time they are 4.
- About 78 percent of children will have cavities by the age of 17.
- The American Dental Association and American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children first see the dentist by the age of 1.
- It’s recommended that your child have an orthodontic screening by the age of 7.
- It’s estimated that children in America miss more than 51 million hours of instruction every year because of dental emergencies.
- Children begin to lose their primary teeth around the age of 6. At this age, children start to experience “wiggly teeth.”
Preventive Dentistry in Wellesley MA
To keep your child free of dental decay, you need advanced preventive techniques. That means bringing your child to the dentist for cleanings and exams every six months. We also use those first dental visits to monitor the health of your child’s mouth for tooth and jawbone development.
To help prevent tooth decay, we’re using treatments like fluoride and dental sealants. Fluoride is a natural mineral that is proven to reduce the risk of cavities and even restore damaged enamel. Dental sealants are placed on the biting surface and literally block out decay. Sealants can stay on the teeth are several years. Preventive is always cheaper than restorative dentistry or emergency visits.
We’re also using custom athletic mouthguards for active children. Your child should be wearing a mouthguard during all contact sports and even sports for falls or hard contact is possible. You can find a boil-and-bite mouthguard at any sporting goods store or drugstore, but these mouthguards are not custom to your smile. A custom mouthguard is built for just one person. We’ve found that the custom mouthguards protects the teeth and face better than generic options and will not obstruct the airway during performance.
Start Your Child’s Dental Care Today
Our Wellesley dental office wants to help you and your children have a great dental experience and great-looking smile. Most of our staff members are parents and know how to treat children in the dental chair. We make the experience fun and informative. Give us a call today at 781-304-8172 to book your child’s first visit.