We always try to inform patients about various oral health issues year round, but in February we make an extra push to educate people on the importance of your smile foundation during Gum Disease Awareness Month. For professional advice and gentle but effective gum disease treatment, call Tocci Dental Associates at 781-304-8172 today.
At our Wellesley, MA dentist office, we want to help all of our patients maintain and improve their oral health and the appearance of their smiles as well. And a big part of oral health is ensuring that your gums are healthy. Unfortunately, a lot of people neglect their gum health during oral hygiene habits, but we’d like to help you change that.
Our dentist, Dr. Jeffrey Tocci, has been practicing general dentistry and other areas of dental care for over three decades now and he has helped innumerable patients. You can rest assured that he has almost definitely seen a situation similar to yours and probably more severe cases even. Put your smile in skilled hands!
We accept a variety of payment options for your convenience. If you are not currently insured through a dental policy, don’t worry. We accept third-party financing through CareCredit, a service that often provides interest-free options for patients.
Fitting dental appointments into your busy schedule can be very tricky. To make things less of a headache for you, we offer some flexible hours that go beyond the nine-to-five schedule you might be used to. We close a little early on Fridays at 1:00 p.m., but we open early at 7:00 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday and also stay late until 7:00 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday.
Learn The Signs To Know If You Need Gum Disease Treatment
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, affects as many as half of all adults in the United States of America. It is also a leading cause of tooth loss in adults. If you haven’t already, those facts should help you realize how important gum health is.
Periodontal disease is caused by tartar and plaque buildup beneath your gumline on your tooth roots. Once bad bacteria set up shop on your tooth roots, it not only damages your teeth but also causes inflammation in your gumline and even infection. There are three stages of gum disease:
- Gingivitis, which is the earliest stage of gum disease and can be reversed with improved oral hygiene and perhaps a treatment from a dentist
- Periodontitis, which is when bone and connective tissue do become irreversibly damaged, but the damage can be prevented from worsening
- Advanced periodontitis, the final stage of gum disease, which is when the fibers and bone that hold your teeth in place are completely destroyed, causing teeth to become loose and necessitating aggressive treatment
We don’t want to scare you when it comes to emphasizing the importance of attaining and maintaining good gum health, but we also don’t want you to brush off this aspect of oral hygiene. Here are some of the things you should look out for to keep your eye out for gum disease:
- Red, swollen, and or tender gums
- Blood in your spit after you brush or floss your teeth
- Chronic and/or persistent bad breath
- Gum recession
- Adult teeth that feel loose
- Sensitivity to extreme temperatures in foods and drinks
Thankfully, if you catch the problem early enough, gum disease is a manageable affliction. If we determine that you have periodontal disease, we will address it using two special deep cleaning techniques:
- Scaling, which allows us to scrape away the buildup on your tooth roots
- Root planing, which smooths the surface of your teeth, allowing your gums to reattach and preventing bacteria from building up again
If we feel that there may be a chance of discomfort during any procedure you receive from us, we will numb your mouth with an anesthetic before we begin. We’ll also thoroughly plan your treatment using state-of-the-art dental technology.
Our friendly team will do all we can to make your visits as pleasant as possible. We offer patients various comfort amenities, including:
- iPods with headphones so you can listen to your favorite music
- Streaming movie eyewear to entertain and distract you
- Neck and eye wraps
- Heated blankets
- Massage chairs
- Refreshing drinks from our beverage bar